Wednesday, October 15, 2008

School and the brain

In a very short time that he's been attending kindergarten, I have had the pleasure of watching and listening to Griffin's storytelling and picture making become more and more complex. In every sense of the word he is a little boy. His pictures and stories are very reminiscent of my brother Rob, warped and violent. During a recent art session, I asked the boys to draw some halloween cards to send to family and friends. This quickly devolved into the making of puppets. Griffin came up with the following:






This is an angry ghost. Somebody took his car home for one million days. He was trying to sneak up on his friend and go in his basement and then grab it and go into his backyard from the door in the basement and then he went through the gate and to his house with the car in his pocket.
This is a monster that eats anything. It's a half cat half monster. It's called CatMonster. It's a cat that bites and it's venemous. A monster that is venemous and that bites. It can't see very well at night, but can see very well in day. It eats anything, even bats or a two headed snake. A snake that is long, but has two heads.
The invitation says: "You are coming to a scary party."





Griffin then further explained to me, "The puppets will be at the party. I'll pass them around and they'll go to different houses and the people that get them will pass them around and when they care about it then they'll be in a club. People will set the puppet on the window sill and run away to a place that's nearby to hide. Then other people will find it and say "what? I'm coming to a scary party? I'm coming." And then they're tricked. Cause it's a happy party."
Not to be outdone by anyone, Harrison drew his own puppets.
His creations though were a little closer to home.

This puppet is Harrison's self portrait.

This is me.

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed that I am frowning or
impressed that he gave me eyebrows.

3 comments:

Eric and Allison Shea said...

Van Gogh beware- the Stidolph's are quite creative! The stories are so cute- especially the Cat Monster!

Rob, Stefanie, and Weston said...

Why is it that every time the boys do something weird, it's attributed to Uncle Rob?! Geez! Frankly, I think this artwork shows a Rob-esque genius to it.

Jane said...

I can't help it if every time the kids do something "weird" it somehow reminds me of you?!