This first day wasn’t nearly as traumatic for me as his first day of kindergarten, but still a momentous occasion. To continue my tradition I dutifully documented his morning.
My slumbering now six year old 1st grader.
Whoops. My flash has awoken him.
Griffin-“Mom. If you’re going to take my picture, please wait until my eyes have a chance to wake up.”
Look at my 1st grader brush his teeth. We don’t let mommy help with toothpaste anymore.
Eating his first breakfast as a 1st grader, and yes he is paying attention to Arthur on the television and not me.
Getting into the car. We’re ready to go!
Here’s my 1st grader walking towards school.
and here he is posing in front of the school.
… walking up the stairs.
Walking into the gym with Harrison for his first day of morning meeting as a 1st grader.
… putting his backpack into his locker.
visiting with some old friends from his Discovery.
Here he is sharing with his friends some of the wonderful things he learned over the summer.
Truly a proud moment for me as a parent. And yes that is him demonstrating how to do arm farts.
Maclin is a little over morning meeting and ready to go home. Although he did perk up when Mr. Hill (our principal) led us in song. How cool is it to have a roomful of families and children singing “Yellow Submarine?” Truly a special moment.
Since Griffin’s birthday was last Friday, they honored him and some other friend’s special day.
Mr. John and the birthday boys discuss how they would like their friends to sing to them. Will it be english or spanish? Loud, medium, soft or no cha cha chas? A lot of important decisions to be made.
After singing, the children all ask how old you are.
are you one? … are you two? … etc
Here Griffin is telling them to stop at six.
This is one of my most favorite traditions at school. Every child is honored. If your birthday falls when school is not in session then their half birthday is celebrated. What a fabulous way to start the year.
Getting lined up to head to his discovery for the first time as a 1st grader.
Harrison! What are you doing in line? Mommy’s not ready for you to go to kindergarten yet!!!
I had a few moments where I swallowed back my tears, but I successfully made it through the morning without embarrassing my 1st grader. What a difference a year makes.
Now I have to mentally prepare myself for Harrison to go off to preschool four days a week! I’m not sure I’ll know what to do with myself all day. I guess I’ll have to get a hobby or maybe I’ll just catch up on six years worth of laundry I’ve had no time to do.
2 comments:
Wow! Stefanie and I are super proud of our nephew, Griffin! 1st grade!
He looks so big! Almost like a 10 year old! Congratulations on first grade!!!
Post a Comment