Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Day for Maclin

It is almost unimaginable that Maclin is now three years old. I feel like I blinked and he's no longer a baby. Although still every bit of his momma's boy, thankfully. The idea that nobody else can get him milk, or wipe his tears somehow lessens the sting that he is growing up too fast for me.

He woke me up yesterday, to tell me he's awake. I said, "Good morning, Birthday boy." To which Maclin replied, "No Mommy. I'm not Birthday Boy. I'm just Maclin." (This is his usual reply to any endearment I try and use. No sweetie, baby, chickapea, monkey ... Just Maclin.)
"Presents?" Can you see all that effort I put into wrapping his presents? I thought the bow on the cardboard box was a nice touch. Even though he loves a new cardboard box, (please. what little boy doesn't) I did fill it up with one of his most treasured and deired items, (thanks to my neighbor's basement) TRAINS! Thomas and Friends Trains.
This is an entire paper box full of just train track. My neighbor's son has "moved on" from train world and I was bowled over when she offered them to me for Maclin. (If you can imagine how much is in this box ... imagine that I returned two garbage bags full of train stuff that I did NOT keep.) I thought keeping even this much was a little obscene. And don't forget the trains themselves. Yup. That's a robe box full of just trains. Thomas and all his friends x2 I think.

After much coaxing, we finally got him to set aside the trains for a minute to open the remainder of his birthday gifts.
What 3 year old doesn't love a sound card? Especially one that screams like a fire engine!! Thanks Grandmother.
Maclin is now sporting some "Tony Hawk" skateboarder dude t-shirts so he'll be just like his big brothers.
And his wonderful brothers bought him a "Buzz-Buzz" (aka Buzz Lightyear) and Woody action figure. These literally have not left his hands since I took them out of the box. I'm thinking about super gluing Woody's rope to his hands. I'm already tired of "fixing" it constantly.
Shortly after I put him to bed last night, he started screaming for me. And I mean SCREAMING. Freaking out slightly, I run in, thinking he had fallen out of the bed or something. Nope. He's sitting in the middle holding out Woody and the rope saying "fix it Mommy."
Trainapolooza upchuck everywhere. Also, I've decided I'm no longer buying presents for Griffin and Harrison. I'm only getting gifts for Maclin. The boys only want Maclin's toys. How did this role reversal happen? Last year it was "Mom!!! Maclin's touching my toys. Make him stop." I suppose it all evens out since I'm the one playing with Griffin and Harrison's Legos. Garth and I have had a lot of fun and some quality time together building stuff.
And now onto cake, or rather ice-cream cupcakes. With "pink" (aka strawberry) ice cream. That's what the birthday boy wanted, I mean what Maclin wanted.
Blow out those candles!
Blew them out on the first try despite all the protests that his brother's believed he would need help.

"Don't take my picture Mommy."

My sweet little baby. Your arrival made our family complete.
Happy Birthday, Maclin Georges.






















2 comments:

Virginia said...

Yay! for Thomas the Train - Rowan loves 'em too. How nice of your neighbor!

Chris and Amy said...

Wow! You look the same as you did in high school! Your boys are adorable. My nephew was the same about nicknames. When he was about 5 I said "You're my favorite newphew." He looked at me like I was crazy and says. "I'm not nephew, I'm Andrew." Duh, Aunt Amy! Glad to see you're doing well. Happy New Year, Amy (previously Hester)